Last week we covered the 2 foundations steps to setting up your intentional life.
This week we share PART 2
5 Practical Steps to creating your Intentional life.
YOU WILL NEED A pad of paper, a pen, an open mind & time to reflect.
OUTCOME: A set of actions to move you forward
PRACTICAL STEP#1 – Define what SUCCESS means to YOU.
Familiarise yourself with who you are and what you want. Then, answer these questions honestly and as specifically as you can.
QUESTION SET #1
- Write down your hopes & your dreams.
- What are you aiming to achieve?
- What are you deeply passionate about?
- When thinking about ‘enough’ – what does it look and feel like to you?
- Why do these things matter to you?
Most importantly ….
How will you know when you get there?
Do these things really matter to YOU …or are they what matters to someone else – your partner, parents, friends, neighbours, even some random person you compare yourself with? (Uggh – yes, thinking about them can impact you).
KNOW what is ‘ENOUGH’ to YOU
When you lack a clear definition of your ‘enough’, you will never feel satisfied with what you have. When you keep running in that loop – burnout and exhaustion will kick in as you continually chase for more and more. Know you’re enough.
PRACTICAL STEP#2 – Know WHAT YOU WANT – Your MORE and Your LESS.
If you accelerate forward 12 months from now – write down what you see and have in your life?
Using the information from your LIFE AUDIT in FOUNDATION STEP#2 last week- notice: Visualise the elements that are in your life in 12 months from now,
QUESTION SET #2
Divide a page into 2 columns: CREATE your MORE and LESS List
· List what you want & have MORE of
· List what you want & have LESS of
- Relationships: Who do I want to spend more/less time with?
- Physical Environment: What could I do more/less of
- Lifestyle Habits: Which habits do I want to do more/less of? (OVER/UNDER -drinking/eating/sleeping/working etc.)
- Workplace activities: What can I do more/less of?
- Media Consumption – what and how do I consume? What could I do more / less of
If you are struggling to get clarity on what you want – book a consult. We can help.
PRACTICAL STEP#3 – Identify ONE small step & ACT on that.
Your Life Audit will have built your awareness of where you are. PRACTICAL STEP #2 will get your clarity on what you want more and less of.
To live intentionally and make sh*t happen, it’s time to design the ACTION that leads to your WAVE.
You have identified the areas you want to change -write down ONE action that will lead to progress and ACT.
Remember that 1% every day is progress.
PRACTICAL STEP #4 – Create an ACCOUNTABILITY system
Find a system that works for you.
Examples include journaling, set reminders on your phone, create a vision board, share your intentions with a friend.
Regular Reflection time
However you do it, ensure you set regular times in your calendar for your own refection. If it’s not in there – it won’t happen!
You will be delighted that you made the time.
Assess your progress. Celebrate your wins. Recommit to your intentions.
Set your next challenge & up-level your life.
#1 BE CLEAR – about what is within your control and what is outside of your control, then FOCUS on what is in your control!
#2 STOP COMPARING YOURSELF – Comparing will only have your despairing.
You were born to live your own life – ‘Comparison is the thief of all joy.’
There is no point in giving your time, energy or focus to what others have or do.
#3 STAY CURIOUS & OPEN – Curiosity is a quality that keeps you moving forward. BE open to learning from others.
And if you want to go further faster – book in with your Catalyst Coach at theWAVE.co.nz. We can help make that happen.
PRACTICAL STEP #5 – Stay FOCUSSED & keep showing up.
You don’t need to be perfect – you are only human. So keep your focus on what really matters to you.
No one on their death bed ever says – I wish I worked more or had more?
5 Most Common Regrets of the Dying – Bronni Ware
I am reminded of these beautifully crafted words from palliative care nurse Bronni Ware as she recorded the Top 5 most common Regrets of the Dying. There are no references to that bigger house, that bungee jump or having more sex!
These might help you wake up and smell that coffee!
1) “I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.’
2) “I wish I hadn’t worked so hard”
3) “I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings”
4) “I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends”
5) “I wish I had let myself be happier”
Many have yet to embrace the reality that a fulfilled, purposeful life is a choice.
Staying in patterns and habits that don’t serve our future may feel safer than creating change.
The truth is that it will only limit you and keep you stuck – exactly where you are now. With this in mind…
What would you set out to achieve or change whilst you still have your health and your life?
Why waste this one precious life stuck in any rut?
We love to hear from our community! Leave your insights or comments below.
At the WAVE.co.nz, we can help you connect to your purpose and live your intentional life.
We would love to be a catalyst for you to step into a future version of yourself.
You can STOP OVERthinking, LET GO of OVERworking, STOP being OVERwhelmed and Reset, Decide and ACT;
Book your Complimentary Consult below:
If this article sparked a gem that’s got you thinking, we invite you to visit Our Blogs for more resources:
- 2 Foundations Steps for an Intentional Life
- 8 Signs you may be a Perfectionist
- 4 Steps to create Time and Opportunity and stop Overwhelm
- The OVERS & UNDERS of Sustainable Self Care
- How to Stop Overthinking
- 4 Big Goal Breakers What Stops you smashing your goals?
- Are you Treading Water?
- The 101 of the WAVE Who we are & what we do.
Coming Soon – XXXXXXX